Picture

Picture

Monday, September 12, 2011

For My MUCH Younger Friend

My friend Vicky was born exactly 3 weeks after I was. She plays that up, alot. This card is for her. I printed the black and white sunflower image out right on the card itself and then cut out the background to make a window card. I then used my parchment colored ink from ColorBox to ink the petals and then went over them with amber from ColorBox to highlight them. I love the way the ink muted the black lines and gave the sunflowers a vintage feel. I used Tim Holtz walnut distress stain to do the seeds. I then created the sentiment in Silhouette and printed it right onto the card as well. I'm most proud of the butterflies. I printed my image again and cut out the leaves of the sunflowers to make the butterfly wings. I used the same 2 ColorBox colors, but reversed them. I put the amber on first and then highlighted with parchment. I used my iRock to set the black metal glam rocks. I cut the frame out using my Silhouette. I'm going to enter this in a few weekly challenges too.
Flutter By Wednesday's open challenge (as long as you use fairies, angels or butterflies).
Sugar Creek Hollow's sunny sunflower challenge
Sentimental Sunday's autumn challenge (that includes a sentiment).
My lesson learned: the distress ink really does stain your fingers for a long time. And I really have to figure out a better way to take pictures when I can't use natural sunlight.
Now to keep Vicky from looking at my blog for the next 2 weeks.....

5 comments:

Patti P. said...

How creative you are and love your great description of your process. Those butterflies are lovely. I am sure your "younger" friend will love this. I have one of those "younger" friends as well, she is 5 months behind me.
So glad you could play with us at Sugar Creek Hollow this week.

Patti SCH/DT

Danni said...

Very pretty! Thank you for playing along with my flutter by challenge!

marsha said...

What fabulous use of your inks and colors! I love the distress inks and how clever you are to use the petals as butterfly wings! Your friends should be thrilled. Thanks so much or joining us for this weeks Sugar Creek Hollow challenge!
Hugs,
Marsha
SCH-DT

Sharon Basel said...

How creative you are! I love how you created the butterfly wings. These sunflowers and the coloring treatment you did is outstanding. A terrific Fall card. Thanks for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow!

Pauline said...

Hi Barb! A fab creation - I love sunflowers! Please visit http://stretchnbubbles.blogspot.com/
I have some happy news for you!
hugs and blessings,
Pauline